So after doing a little of research on how others were able to get organized (and stay that way!) and after tackling the decluttering project for the last 48 hours…there are THREE things that I learned so far…
- Establish FOUR different piles and sort accordingly:
- Trash – Stuff you do not need, will not be used by anyone else.
- Donation – Stuff that you haven’t used in over a year, can be used by someone else.
- Sell – Stuff you haven’t used in a while and can make money from selling it.
- Keep – Stuff you use on the regular basis and cannot part with (yet).
- This is TIME CONSUMING.
- This is the reason why you should not let things become clutter (spend less time cleaning/spend more time living!)
- It FEELS GOOD!
- It is so gratifying to look at a room you’ve been working on and see that everything there has a place and a purpose.
Today I found out that I have a loveseat! Seriously, I haven’t seen this in weeks. Note to self: the sofa and loveseat are for: sitting, reclining, napping, and lounging. It is not a shelf, waste basket, coat holder, etc. The bedroom has been tackled and now the livingroom is also decluttered. Over the next few days the goal is to take all donations to Goodwill/Salvation Army and sell the stuff to be sold.