Why I decided to take a break from Facebook?

It’s 2 days into the month and I’ve already had 3 close calls in me opening Facebook.  It has become evident to me that Facebook had become integrated into my daily routine and I’ve decided that I did not like that.  Late August I decided to do a 30 day challenge of not logging on to Facebook.

My friend Isabela had challenged me a little while back for us not to get on Facebook for a week and at the time I thought the idea was absurd.  Why would I not log on to Facebook it’s my primary way of staying in touch with friends and family. After that though I started to notice that I barely had any contact with my friends and family.  I gave the occasional comment on their posts and ‘likes’ but I never really had any conversations with anyone.  So that’s when I decided September 1st I will be taking a break from Facebook.  I even announced it on my Timeline.  I had suggested that if anyone wants my phone number, email, or even mailing address they could send me a private message for my info.  Not one person did.

Facebook had ruined my social life.  There was a time in my life where I would wake up in the morning, look down at my phone and it would show me that I had 12 new text messages.  Those days are over it seems…it’s time for me to reach out to my close family and friends and establish communications again.

I deleted Facebook from my iPad and my Blackberry.  I asked my husband if there was a way for me to block myself from the facebook website on my laptop.  He said there is a way he can block the site and require a password to access it but he said it’s more important that I practice self control. *sighs* I guess this is why it’s a challenge.

Dare I say it?  Am I a Facebook Addict?

Advertisements

10 thoughts on “Why I decided to take a break from Facebook?

1. Erin Motyka September 7, 2014 / 1:19 am

Not sure if my comment posted or not so I am typing it again.
    Good luck on your FB Challenge! I know you can do it! I was off of it for a month a few months ago due to some personal stuff that happened with some of my online friends. You'll see that it isn't that hard around the 15th. 😉
    I used to be a FB Addict but now I just don't care. LOL

Liked by 1 person

• SPVF January 17, 2016 / 8:14 am

Actually, you are absolutely correct. It seemed like a really hard task not to log on but after a couple of weeks I barely noticed it. Thank you for commenting. I am now back on Facebook but I’m not nearly as obsessed with it as I was before.

2. clara jones September 11, 2014 / 11:45 am

I am not into facebook.So,I wouldn't really know it's effects.But it seems like you are about to take a big step in your life.Good luck with that 😀

Liked by 1 person

• SPVF January 17, 2016 / 8:14 am

Thank you Clara.

3. prosper masakadza September 17, 2014 / 12:18 am

There is no doubt that Facebook is often responsible for our shortcomings. Many of us tend to spend lots of time on Facebook, which means our day to day lives suffer.

Liked by 1 person

• SPVF January 17, 2016 / 8:15 am

There is definitely truth to your statement. I think too many people think that since they ‘liked’ or commented on your FB status or post that that’s enough communication.

4. Lucky September 18, 2014 / 5:21 am

Something that I cannot stand about social media is it is destroying our interpersonal communication. There was a time where us humans would actually talk with each other at dinner without the phone plastered to our faces, actually write letters and maybe talk face-to-face with others. However, I am glad you are taking strides to fixing this and being more social with face-to-face interactions!

Liked by 1 person

• SPVF January 17, 2016 / 8:16 am

Thank you. I’ve definitely found myself encouraging those that I dine with to not use their phones (with exception of taking pictures) particularly if we haven’t seen each other in a while and want to capture the moment.

5. chase simon September 19, 2014 / 8:33 pm

I am about like you. I believe that I am a Facebook addict as well. I am not sure I would like to do the 30 day challenge. I have to get my daily Facebook fix and see what everyone is up to!

Liked by 1 person