Poison Oak – YUCK! Ugh!

poison oakFor the last week I’ve been recovering from Poison Oak.  It still looks HORRIBLE but at least I don’t feel terrible any more.  It started off as a few little bumps and then it turned into this. I finally went into see the doctor and within seconds of seeing my rash she declared that it was poison oak.  I’m just glad it’s not the shingles. I know I know, I’m probably too young to have the shingles but I was never known to have the strongest immune system and after Googling “rashes” for days it started to seem like a possibility!

I posted this picture and many of my FB friends and family chimed in with their suggestions ultimately for myself I ended up going to the doctors’ office, received a shot (of what I don’t remember!) but it was something to relieve the swelling/reaction, got prescribed some pills.

Other Tips/Remedies you can try if you want to avoid going to the doctor and are pretty sure it’s poison oak.

It will help you wash out the oils that causes our bodies to react so violently.  Why is this better than just taking a shower with soap?  Letting the hot water and using soap may not be enough to remove the contaminating oils and it may even cause you to spread the oils all over your body.

OATMEAL is not just for breakfast anymore
They say that you can actually just run a bath and grind your oatmeal and soak in it to relieve the itch.  They also have oatmeal products e.g. soap that may help as well.

CALADRYL is your friend
Someone decided to go ahead and mix the two best solutions for poison oak and poison ivy Benadryl and Calamine lotion. A friend also told me that you can make a paste with the caladryl with echinacea which is also used for those with chickenpox to help dry it out.  If you’re looking for a solution that you may have in the kitchen I’ve also been told use a paste made of vinegar and bakingsoda.

Other Notes
Scratching your blisters will not spread the rash but it will cause bacterial skin infections – JUST DON’T DO IT.
Try to shower/bathe in cool/cold water because hot water will open up your pores more the oils WILL penetrate your skin more.
Most people recover within 1-2 weeks.

Have you ever experience poison oak, poison ivy, or poison sumac?  Leave a comment and tell us about your experience!  I’d love to hear if you have any other tips or remedies as well.